- UK becomes first nation to approve Covid-19 vaccine targeting both Omicron and original strain
- Omicron booster vaccine will be used in UK rollour after world first approval
- （全球首次獲批後，Omicron 加強疫苗將在英國推出）
- Covid vaccine（冠狀病毒疫苗）
- Omicron booster vaccine（Omicron加強疫苗）
- original strain（原始毒株）
- 例句：The vaccine rollout which targeted Covid-19 in 2020 was the biggest and most complex vaccination programme in the UK history. (2020 年針對 Covid-19 的疫苗推出是英國歷史上規模最大、最複雜的疫苗接種計劃。)
The four-day heatwave was followed by heavy rains and thunderstorms. Cornwall and Devon in the south west of the UK were particularly affected by the heavy rains. Residents living there may need to pack their valuables in advance and be ready to evacuate before flooding occurs.
- Devon and Cornwall hit by heavy rain and flooding
- heavy rain（大雨）
- travel disruption（旅行中斷）
- pack up your valuables（收拾你的貴重物品）
- the Met Office（氣象局）
Many British households are crying out as Britain faces its highest level of inflation since 2018. Although this year’s inflation is close to 11%, the wages have not increased. People have experienced the greatest pay slump and even layoffs among the past 20 years. In addition to fewer open job vacancies, the government is also planning to cut about 91,000 jobs in the civil service.
The increasingly serious problem of livelihood has become a good theme for British political parties. In preparation for the election to be announced on September 5, the Labour Party proposed an energy price cap policy in its campaign blitz, in order to gain the attention and support of the general public.
In order to ease the living burden of the British, Iceland supermarket launched interest-free loans, allowing low-income families to buy daily necessities with less expenditure. Besides, to reduce the burden of women buying menstrual products, Scotland has become the first country in the world to provide women with menstrual products free of charge. Low-income families do not need to worry about the monthly purchase of sanitary napkins. Blessed are the women in Scotland!
- pay slump / wages slump / wages plunge（工資暴跌）
- rocketing inflation（暴漲的通貨膨脹）
- grocery prices rise（雜貨價格上漲）
- energy bills soar（能源賬單飆升）
- energy price hike（能源價格上漲）
- energy price cap policy（能源價格上限政策）
- campaign blitz（競選閃電戰）
- interest-free loans（免息貸款）
- civil servant redundancy / civil service redundancy（公務員裁員）
- menstrual products（月經用品）
Liz Truss’s full name is Mary Elizabeth “Liz” Truss. Born on July 26, 1975, Truss is a politician of the British Conservative Party. She is currently the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Commonwealth and Development Affairs and the Minister of Women and Equality, and is one of the candidates for the next Prime Minister in the UK.
全名為Mary Elizabeth “Liz” Truss，生於1975年7月26， 是英國保守黨的政治人物，現任外交、聯邦及發展事務大臣及婦女和平等事務部長，目前是下一任英國首相的候選人之一。
Rishi Sunak （港譯：辛偉誠）
Born in 1980, Rushi Sunak is a politician of the British Conservative Party. He served as Chancellor of the Exchequer, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Deputy Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, and is currently one of the candidates for the next Prime Minister in the UK.
Drought can lead to dangerous flooding
When drought occurs, the weather becomes hot and dry, leaves and grass turn yellow, and soil structure changes as a result. The soil surface that is directly irradiated by the sun will form a protective layer as strong as concrete. If there is a downpour after the drought, not only will it not help the soil to absorb water, but it will cause a lot of rainwater to stay on the ground that is difficult to absorb water. As a result, flooding occurs.